Old 20-06-2019, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Preserving garlic for replanting?

On 6/20/19 3:07 PM, T wrote:
On 6/20/19 2:18 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 14:08:24 -0700, T wrote:

On 6/20/19 1:08 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/20/2019 2:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

After harvesting my garlic, is there any trick to preserving
what I want to replant in the fall.Â* Usually it get all dried
out and dies on me by then.Â* Put it in the refrigerator?

Many thanks,
-T

Â* Â* I stored the garlic I grew in the garden in a bowl on the table ...
after properly curing it (strung and hung for a couple of months
IIRC) .
It stayed good enough to use (or plant) for close to 2 years . BTW , I
planted cloves from some Walmart garlic , came out swell . Use the
biggest cloves for the biggest bulbs .

I lay mine on a wire rack.Â* How to you do yours?

https://www.garlicfarm.ca/growing-garlic.htm

Which links you to:

Â*Â*Â* https://www.garlicfarm.ca/storing-garlic.htm

Thank you!

What would be the difference between a wire rack and hanging
them?

From: https://www.garlicfarm.ca/storing-garlic.htm

After garlic is harvested it needs to be cured. In curing
the energy from the leaves goes into the bulbs as they dry.

Uhhh. I harvest them when the leaves die off.

Remove any chunks of dirt from the roots, being careful not
to bruise the garlic. Leave the roots on as they have a
moderating effect on the drying rate.

I have been removing the roots. Ooops.

If you have a small amount you can spread the plants out where
they are protected from the sun and rain and there is good
air circulation.

Wire rack in teh garage. Lots of air circulates through it in
the summer and it is usually dark

We hang the plants - about 25 to 40 to a string in bunches
of 3 to 6.

No leaves left to tie up.

:'(