Old 21-06-2019, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Preserving garlic for replanting?

T wrote:
T wrote:

That would be my favorite way.Â* Will the
mature plants make it through the ice
and snow?Â* I know bulbs in the ground will.

Just don't water them until the spring?

spring bulbs will send out roots the
previous season as soon as they can get
going. if it is dry they will wait for
the rains.

here they may start actively growing
any chance they get in the winter but
even if they don't when the spring comes
around and the warmer weather and some
rains they'll come up and start growing.

you mention that you are waiting for
all the leaves to die back before lifting
the garlic, but you shouldn't let it go
that long as the tunics (wrappings around
the bulb) may not be in the best condition
if you wait that long. you should instead
lift it when about half the leaves are
going brown and finish curing it above
ground.

my garlic here isn't even close to being
done yet, not much sun and too much rain
i don't think there are scapes yet or they
may just now be starting to form.

in the clay here i have to lift them
or the tunics get discolored.

i have however, many places where garlic
just grows and i don't touch it at all.
so in case my main plantings go bad i have
a backup source to start over again. it's
also what i did up and eat when i want
some green garlic.

songbird