Old 25-06-2019, 12:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default onion marbles?

T wrote:
Hi All,

I planted the onion marbles I got from Wal Mart. They are
growing fine (go figure).

Question: at what stage growth do they harvest marble sized
onions for sale?

when they are about the right size. they may
root prune and lift them to get them to stop
growing but the best way to get a decent start
is to plant the seeds at the right time and then
they will go dormant in the heat of summer.

if they are too big when planted then they
may go to flower instead of forming a bulb the
next time they are planted. also make sure the
plants are kept watered regularly. the more
uneven the weather the more likely the plant
will flower.

even if an onion plant does flower the bulb
may still be edible, just not well formed for
storage. eat 'em up. still good.

songbird