Old 11-07-2019, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Pointed Pumpkin Plants

Pavel314 wrote:
On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 3:49:32 PM UTC-4, Drew Lawson wrote:
Pavel314 writes:

I'm probably cursing myself by posting this, but we've been planting both summer and winter squash for
years and had no problem with borers or bugs. Maybe they don't come as far north or east as Maryland.

I don't think that is the case. I certainly had my share of squash
borers in northen Virginia in the late '80s.

It's been years since I planted anything that they target. I'm
pleasantly surprised that they don't go after cucumber vines. I
hope they ignore water melon as well, since I'm trying that this
year.

--
Drew Lawson For it's not the fall, but landing,
That will alter your social standing

This has been a great year for cucumbers for us. We have too many to eat so we give the excess to the sheep. They enjoyed them for a while but now they're getting tired of them, too.

We had a similar situation about 40 years ago when I over-planted cucumbers; my daughter's pony ate the excess for a while but eventually wouldn't touch them.

a few can be bitter.

i just put up another 12 quarts of dill pickles yesterday
so the idea of "too many" doesn't happen until i get to
around 100 quarts.

i will eat them all summer if they keep producing and
we don't pull the plants. i can give quite a few away to
my brother, he'll eat them too. i like them as a low
calorie snack/filler and we make a lot of things with
them (salads, quick pickles, sandwiches, etc.).

songbird