Old 29-07-2019, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa[_3_] Nyssa[_3_] is offline

Default Planting lemon seeds

Boron Elgar wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 09:35:53 -0400, Nyssa
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's
not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the
fruit they come from ... but hay , ya never know , might
get some decent fruit anyway .

I tried this years ago and got a very attractive lemon
tree that lived on my back deck during the warmer months.
Never got any fruit, but it sure looked pretty.

I didn't do anything special to start the seed; just stuck
it into a four inch pot with seed starting mix. It was on
a whim, so I didn't have any special prep materials around
in any case.

I kept having to transplant it into a bigger pot almost
every year. During the winter months, I had to drag it
into my house to winter over. The last year I did this,
the poor thing got a powdery mildew like substance on the
leaves and finally gave up the ghost.

I overwinter lots of citrus. Aphids, spider mites, scale,
and other afflictions can take hold during hot, dry
heating season indoors.

I have found that keeping the plants in the cool of the
basement (near a light source, of course) helps them make
it through. Yes, you lose some leaves, but the tubbed
trees make it.

What are you planning on doing with the lemon plant during
the colder months (unless you're in an area that is
citrus-friendly)?

Good luck!

Nyssa, who really was proud of that tree, but it was a
real PITA to drag that huge pot around after a few years.

No basements around these parts because of the high water
table. It's basically swampland that's been filled in a bit.

My thermostat in the winter is set at 65F, so too much heat
isn't a problem, but dampness can be at times. That and
not enough light coming in where I parked the lemon put.

It lost leaves every winter, but always managed to come
back once spring came and I could move it outside again.
Until that last winter when it was a combination of lost
leaves AND the residual mildew on the stems. sigh

It was such a pretty tree.

Nyssa, who now has a big mutant tomato plant in the same
spot on the deck, but that lemon tree was much nicer