Old 31-07-2019, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Harris James Harris is offline

Default Can these wonky Boston Ivy plants be trimmed?

On 30/07/2019 16:46, David Hill wrote:
On 30/07/2019 12:31, James Harris wrote:
I bought two Boston Ivy plants online. Unfortunately, the ones which
arrived are 'wonky' in that a few inches above the soil their main stems
set off at right angles, although there is limited other growth.

For where they are intended they really need to set off going up the
wall rather than along it. A bit of deviation would be OK but 90 degrees
is too much.

So do you folks know whether it would be safe to cut off the
sideways-pointing limbs?

I've put pictures of them both at

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nJ...DcZqRiQa4Eir2U
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bl...9afZyfoXjYbuns

It's those woody leftward-growing shoots that I want to cut off but I am
concerned that doing so might kill the plants.

What do you think? Opinions welcome.

I wouldn't wory, pinch off the growing tip and let the sideshoots take
over, they will grow up and give you a wider spread, I opten plant
climbers with the main shoot along the ground so that you get more
shoots developing to grow up.

I'll give it some thought. The problem is that the two plants are
intended to be in a position of prime visibility either side of the
front door. And because of the layout there they really need to grow
upwards - at least at first; they can branch plenty later.

Alternativly, why not put the plant in on it's side so the shoot is
pointing up?

Interesting idea. I could do that with the second one of them (as long
as the rest of it didn't mind being buried). But the first arrived with
the woody shoot cut off and all the new growth in the bit which would
have to be buried.

What do you think would actually happen if I did cut off the woody
sideways-limbs? Do you think a plant such as these would be likely to
die or to keep growing? I'm at the point where I feel I might need to
take the risk!

--
James Harris