Old 03-08-2019, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
thescullster thescullster is offline

Default Hedge Trimmer Selection

On 03/08/2019 10:14, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 03 Aug 2019 07:59:39 +0100, thescullster
wrote:

Hi all

Yes I know there are numerous "reviews" that can be Googled, but I am
hoping for relatively ubiased opinion from real world users.

Can people please recommend a suitable trimmer for a mixed hedge?
It comprises escallonia, cotoneaster, honey suckle, eleagnus and
ceanothus (with the odd photinia and viburnum birwoodi).

To date I have been coping/battling with a seriously old B & D jobbie.
But it is becoming increasingly unreliable and only has a 500mm blade.

I am quite happy to continue with a corded model and would certainly
prefer that to a heavy battery unit.

The hedge size is about 35m long x 2.4m high and clearly from the
constituent shrubs has "branches".
Ideally I would like a device that could be used to reduce the height,
but suspect that such an animal may be too heavy.
I am an aging office boy, so cutting this is quite an effort these days,
hence the weight consideration.

Not sure that this warrants a petrol driven item.

I can't specifically recommend any particular make, but I would be
wary of hedge trimmers with shaft extensions intended for cutting the
tops of highish hedges, that are advertised by comely wenches of
lightweight stature as if they were featherweight and easy to operate.
IME they are neither, and if you need height to cut the top of your
hedge, either use steps or a ladder or if you're not happy wobbling
around up there, get a man in.

Thanks Chris

Yes I think I know exactly the advert you are referring to. Can't
imagine why it sticks in the mind so well.

I'm still OK doing the ladder wobble, but need more reach/a longer blade
really.

Phil