Old 04-08-2019, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Robinson Peter Robinson is offline

Default Can these wonky Boston Ivy plants be trimmed?

James Harris wrote:

What do you think would actually happen if I did cut off the woody
sideways-limbs? Do you think a plant such as these would be likely to
die or to keep growing? I'm at the point where I feel I might need to
take the risk!

You're worrying too much. Climbers like this are very robust. If you
bury it, it will root nearer the surface and keep growing. If you cut
off anything, it will sprout from where you cut and keep growing. If
you plant it as is, it will work out which way is up and reach for the
sky (and to a lesser extent, all other directons too) and keep growing.

If you're concerned, first pot them on into much larger pots and cosset
them for a few weeks and I think you'll see lots of strong growth which
will reassure you.

The only thing you need to worry about if you plant it now is to keep it
well watered until the autumn rains.

Peter