Old 07-08-2019, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Plum and pear trees

On 07/08/2019 14:05, Ihop Ingles wrote:
I have 2 six foot trees in buckets to put in the ground - a barlett pear and a satsuma plum. If no other citrus trees nearby, will they bear fruit? It seems like there should be a straight forward answer but getting different advice from different nurseries and websites... both will bear fruit, may bear fruit, must have 2nd plum and pear, etc....?

In the UK we call the pear a williams.
Your Bartlett pear tree is in flowering group 3. It is partially
self-fertile, but a nearby pollination partner of a different variety is
beneficial.
I had one mature one with no pears near and we got a good crop every
yer plenty for 3 of us.
Your plumb may be self fertile if it's one of these If you only have
space for one plum tree and you want a self-fertile Japanese cultivar,
you have three choices: “Methley," a sweet, reddish-purple plum;
“Shiro,” a large, sweet, bright-yellow plum; and “Toka,” a red plum
hybrid of Japanese and American plums.
Otherwise “Satsuma” plums may be pollinated by "Methey," "Shiro" and
"Toka." Other useful Japanese plum pollinators are “Beauty,” a large
plum with amber-tinged red flesh and bright red skin; "Burbank," a
purplish red plum; and “Santa Rosa,” a large plum with purple flesh and
reddish-purple skin.
Citrus are Oranges and lemons etc.