Old 08-08-2019, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Smilax

On 08/08/2019 09:08, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anybody grown these climbers? More specifically, Smilax aspera.

There are very few suppliers of Smilax in the UK. Are they less hardy
than as usually stated (although there seem to be several specimens in
quite a few UK botanic gardens)?

I have a "spiny" border where I grow a few spiny/thorny/prickly plants,
and wondered if a Smilax might make an interesting addition.

I remember seeing one taking up a cormer of a garden in Cardiff, large
and interesting, but not to everyones choice.