Old 11-08-2019, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brown Turkey ripening

On 10/08/19 19:06, David wrote:
I can't remember if this is early or late but I do know we got two crops
last year for the first time ever.

I'm removing them just before they go very dark, and ripening them
indoors, on the principle that I want to get there before the blackbirds
and wasps.

You obviously have lot more success with Brown Turkey than we do. We've
had a couple of near-ripe fruits this last week, but considering they we
already a good size at the end of May, they are taking a long time to
ripen. A lot of small fruits appeared at the end of July, and are
swelling, but they will never ripen. The plant is in a large pot in a
very sheltered corner facing south-east.

Last year we had some decent-sized fruit on plant for months, but they
never ripened. I have been told that ripening success can be increased
considerably by pinching out the end of the branch which has the fruits.
Can anyone confirm this?

By the way, I've never seen a bird or a wasp on the fruits.

--

Jeff