Old 11-08-2019, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_6_] Bob Hobden[_6_] is offline

Default Red Amaranth

On 11 Aug 2019 12:31, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
Chap from our Indian Restaurant (Bangladeshi) has just been down to
collect a large armful of the Red Amaranth we grew for them. Said they
all loved it last week, ate everything stems and all.

I have tried it, and didn't like it. I am growing Callaloo (A. dubius),
which is much better, and am trying some Bangladeshi green amaranth
seeds - but sowed them very late, and they may not grow enough.

Also took some of the younger leaves off the gourds for a Bhaji (?).
Anyone heard of such leaves being eaten? (They have a strange smell)

Yes. I haven't eaten them myself, though you remind me that I have
meant to for some time.

Hi did leave enough Red Amaranth in the 20ft row for us to try some.

Thanks Nick, I'll see if I can get a recipe out of him for the Gourd
Leaves but he seemed to suggest it's used like spinach.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden