Old 22-08-2019, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Hedge Trimmer Selection

On 03/08/2019 07:59, thescullster wrote:
Yes I know there are numerous "reviews" that can be Googled, but I am
hoping for relatively ubiased opinion from real world users.
Can people please recommend a suitable trimmer for a mixed hedge?

Scullster! I am late to this thread. Did you make a decision on a new
hedgetrimmer?

I wanted to second everything that Martin has written below: I've added
a couple more comments below his response

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

When I have used a B&D it lasted less than a year. Sometimes didn't even
finish the job I started with it. I have a Bosch 600mm with 26mm cut.

The predecessor of this one I think:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Elect...dp/B00B1RBG36/

I am quite happy to continue with a corded model and would certainly
prefer that to a heavy battery unit.

I have never found a battery one any good at all. OK for trimming light
growth off but anything more than that they are a waste of time. YMMV

The hedge size is about 35m long x 2.4m high and clearly from the
constituent shrubs has "branches".

I have slightly more hedge to cut than that in Beech, Holly, Privet,
Cotoneaster and Lonicera.
I also have a hefty pair of long handled loppers for the thickest
things that the hedge trimmer cannot get.

Ideally I would like a device that could be used to reduce the height,
but suspect that such an animal may be too heavy.
I am an aging office boy, so cutting this is quite an effort these days,
hence the weight consideration.

Not sure that this warrants a petrol driven item.

I'd stay with electric if you have it available. Just use an ELCB since
there is always a risk that you will cut through the cable one day.

Further comments from me:

- I am on my second Bosch AHS 55-26 (55cm long, 26mm between teeth).
This suits me (with *loads* of hedge) very well. (I can't stand petrol
driven garden machinery).

- Yes, you will cut through the cable, especially with this long blade.
But you get better at avoiding that.

- I have two other hedgetrimmers, battery driven (bought in the last
couple of years). They're excellent for keep the untidiness down during
summer. But ...

- for the serious hedge cutting (as opposed to trimming), my AHS 55-26
is fantastic. Not only very powerful, but the long blade cuts a hedge
*much* more quickly, and indeed more neatly.

- These days, a bout of hedgecutting finishes me for the day (back).
OTOH, painful though that is, it's bloody good work-out :-)

Best wishes
John