Old 30-08-2019, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default What to do?

I have replaced my fence with my neighbour, and we have had
feather boarding put on both sides. The fence was also moved
slightly at one end (3") to make the line straight.

Now I have a problem:

I can not mow right up to the fence, as the mower catches on
the feather boarding, and I'm wondering what to do.

One suggestion was to dig out a narrow strip of the lawn and
replace is with gravel/stones. We do have this elsewhere but I
find the stones get onto the grass and could damage the mower.

The alternative, preferred by swmbo, is to make a narrow (max
9"-12"). But what to grow in it that will not expand into the
mower area/ The fence is 6ft+ high and faces W.N.W. There are
houses on all the other sides, so the bed would only get
limited summer sun from about 1pm to 5pm.

Swmbo would like something tall to mask the plainness of the
fence, but I'm not sure that anything tall would stay upright
and not expand sideways?

Any ideas please?

--
Roger T