Old 31-08-2019, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default When is Autumn?

On 31/08/2019 20:28, Martin Brown wrote:
I think of the first two or three weeks of September as transitional
from summer to autumn - in some years they are summery (an Indian
Summer); in other years they are autumnal.

This year I already have some thermally sensitive plants (including
acer, fig, ginko and lilies) showing signs of autumn colour. I don't
understand how since there has not been a cold enough night to my
knowledge. More usually they do this in mid-september.

It's been a funny old year. After a dry winter we've had a wet summer,
with periods of exceptional heat, and a remarkably chilly spell for
early August.