Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default When is Autumn?

On 31/08/19 20:59, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 31/08/2019 20:28, Martin Brown wrote:
I think of the first two or three weeks of September as transitional
from summer to autumn - in some years they are summery (an Indian
Summer); in other years they are autumnal.

This year I already have some thermally sensitive plants (including
acer, fig, ginko and lilies) showing signs of autumn colour. I don't
understand how since there has not been a cold enough night to my
knowledge. More usually they do this in mid-september.

It's been a funny old year. After a dry winter we've had a wet summer,
with periods of exceptional heat, and a remarkably chilly spell for
early August.

I can only assume you are north-west of a line from about The Wash to
Weymouth. On the other side of that line it has been incredibly dry (see
the "Mildew" thread a week or so ago).

Still, it's an ill wind, etc... our 18+ metre ash did not flower this
year - I assume the conditions were too dry - so it has not set seed.
Yay! No seedlings to pull up next spring!

--

Jeff