Old 05-09-2019, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Just some garden talk

Frank wrote:
blossom end rot was just calcium deficiency. I've dealt with both.

BER is a calcium deficiency, but why any plant
can have that happen can be caused by more than one
factor.

some years we have it on some of the early fruits
and not many after.

not this year, the slow cloudy month with gobs of
rain we had to start the season must have given the
plants enough time to get enough root growth done.

we had huge fruits (many over 2lbs each), but i
didn't consider them to be very good quality.

i spent a lot of time today, after picking six
buckets i would normally expect between 40-50
quarts from that but ended up with 22 and 1/2.

considering a lot of people had a hard time getting
any at all we're happy with what we had this season
but also glad we're done canning.

songbird