Old 13-09-2019, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Hul Tytus Hul Tytus is offline

Default Garden Rotation

Where are you? I'm in the Ohio river valley and if you drop a seed,
you have to be careful to step aside.

Hul

songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
In a few years, we'll probably switch the pumpkin patch with vegetable right.

i try to rotate everything each season, but in
a few gardens the soil is so poor that i keep
planting beans until i can get it into shape.

the rest of the gardens i rotate the tomatoes
into first with the worms/worm compost and then
follow with onions the next year. i squeak some
garlic in one of the gardens.

after several years they're due for another
shot of worms/worm compost and since we don't
over do it with what we plant and harvest and
return all food/paper scraps and plant debris
the garden soil has gradually improved each
season.

i also rotate the areas i plant squash every
year or two. we went three years last year and
it was ok, but it was time to move on. this
year with the seeds going in late we don't have
too many squash out there to harvest.

considering where we started and how things
have changed and how much we do harvest from
these gardens i'm pretty happy with how it
has been going.

different plants use different nutrients so
it makes a lot of sense to rotate crops as then
you will not need to amend so heavily and still
can get decent crops.

songbird