Old 06-10-2019, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default organic matter ???

On 10/5/19 6:51 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 12:17:26 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 10/5/2019 11:05 AM, jeff wrote:
On 10/5/19 6:31 AM, songbird wrote:
you can buy bagged compost at many garden
centers. it is often composted cow manure
or composted chicken manure added to perhaps
some other fillers.

most composted cow manure is very poor in
terms of nutrients, but yes, it is an organic
material and can be useful in a garden if you
have poor/heavy soil.

Horse manure is really great stuff if you can get it. Maybe check with
a nearby stable or agricultural college; any place that keeps horses is
invariably generating "horsepucky" and may well be happy to give it away
for free. Alpaca or lama manure might also be good but I can't say for sure.

An organic farmer once cautioned on using stuff from a stable because it
may contain considerable pesticide used to keep flies down there.

Where I live there are a lot of mushroom houses and depleted mushroom
soil is available. The only concern is weed seeds.

We have a flock of sheep and don't use pesticides in the barn, so we have a good supply of sheep manure. In fact, we're going to shovel out the sheep barn in November to throw on the garden. Then again before the annual shearing in May.

There are a lot of mushroom houses across the state line in PA but we haven't tried any of them yet.

Paul

Do you dig in the sheep scat or just throw it on top?