Old 06-10-2019, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default organic matter ???

Pavel314 wrote:
I usually till it into the soil. My wife sometimes uses it as a mulch during the growing season to smother the weeds.

if you can find some plain cardboard (usually places will
give it away for free) or newspapers you can put that down
first and then top with your mulch and that will do a great
job of smothering weeds for a while.

i much prefer it to using herbicides.

the problem with late fall application of manures is that
if there is any run off during the winter it can move those
extra nutrients into the surrounding water ways.

best to apply nutrients when plants are actively growing.
don't waste 'em! surface tilling in is better than leaving
them exposed (all the volatile components will dry off as
compared to the soil microbes being able to get at them).

songbird