Old 09-10-2019, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default organic matter ???

T wrote:
From what I have heard on youtube, a good garden is
basically growing on top of a worm bed.

if you look into the biology of worms you find
out that they are little bacteria factories. what
they ingest and grind up together is food for the
bacteria they have in their stomach and they feed
off what the bacteria give them and any other
nutrients they can pull out.

the biology of a good garden soil is more bacterial
than fungal, but there are plenty of simple fungi in
garden soil too. if you compare that to woodland
soils or soils under perennial beds you will find that
those are dominated by fungi more than bacteria.

microbiology of soils is a good winter topic too
and also fits in nicely with studying composting.

My avocado pits were whacked with the hammer side
of an ax.

that'll do it! they turn a pretty interesting
color of orange if you cut them and leave them to
oxidize in the air for a few minutes.

I should make sure over the winder to occasionally
water my worm (singular) and my microbiome.

if it is really dry out, yeah, it won't hurt. just
make sure not to waterlog your garlic or bunching
onions.

I had a little frog for a time last year!

that's fantastic! do you know what species it
was?

Thank you for the tips!

always welcome, i love gardening and encouraging
wildlife (the non-pest kinds) and try to always
increase diversity.

i was just youtubing a video of a food forest with
over 500 edible plants/trees/etc. any place in the
world you can do that, even a desert. takes time and
effort, but once you get going it keeps building on
itself. like you are finding out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?68=&v=Q_m_0UPOzuI

imagine you are these folks and look where they
started 10yrs ago:

https://www.weforest.org/newsroom/di...-just-10-years

give 'em ten more years and keep adding whatever will
grow there and they'll be even further along.

love it. have fun. time to get outside to get
my mess cleaned up and improved. some seeds to pick.

songbird