Old 10-10-2019, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] eastman5063@gmail.com is offline

Default Garden Rotation

On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 1:26:58 PM UTC-6, Pavel314 wrote:
We're going to rotate two of the garden sections for next year. We currently have three sections to our vegetable garden, each 25 feet wide and 30 feet long, all adjacent with a walkway between the sections. From left to right, for the last three years they've been 1, the pumpkin patch; 2, vegetable left; and 3, vegetable right. The two vegetable sections have a variety of rows, containing corn, beans, potatoes, melons, tomatoes, etc. We have been changing the crops amongst the rows each year and add compost and manure to the rows every fall.

For next year, we're going to switch the pumpkin patch with vegetable left, putting the pumpkin patch between the two vegetable sections. After harvesting the pumpkins next month, we'll bring a few loads of sheep manure from the barn to spread over the gardens, then till them in before winter hits.. Hopefully, the plants will enjoy a change of scenery.

In a few years, we'll probably switch the pumpkin patch with vegetable right.

Paul

I've grown chile on the same 26'x12' plot for ten years now and only recently have been seeing a lessening of plant/fruiting vigor. I just pile on about a foot of dry leaves in the Fall and till them in Fall if the weather stays warm or in the Spring. Suspect the leaves just can't provide enough nitrogen so I'm going to do a soil analysis on the current soil.