Old 07-11-2019, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_3_] Dan Espen[_3_] is offline

Default Is it possible to replant or at least drag approx 2mts distance, an established holly tree?

Frank "frank writes:

On 11/7/2019 11:14 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 11:44:01 +0000, Maria Gonella
m wrote:

Is it possible to move an established (30ft) holly tree? We are having gates
at the front of our house about to be put in and unfortunately the tree is
right in the way of where they want to build the pillars, is it possible to
replant or drag an established holly tree, approximately 2 meters to the side?
its very beautiful and I didn't want to loose it!

A 30' holly tree can be lopped off at ten feet and what's left can be
heavily pruned, and it will still survive transplanting, and they are
fast growers... ask if your gate installers have an excavator to dig a
new hole and set your tree into it with its rootball. Pruning and
transplanting will make your holly healthier. Right now, fall, is the
best time to transplant mature trees, before the ground freezes.

Mine are very slow growing, probably due to shaded areas. I've
transplanted little ones. My wife has a little one in a pot. Been
there over 2 years. She calls it Groot as it is only about half a
foot tall.

Lots of Holly varieties. I have one about 12 inches tall for about 10
years. I'm still waiting for it to wake up.

I have others that have reached 20ft from a 2inch volunteer over 10
years.

I've had zero luck with seeds but I sometimes find volunteers that I
move to where I want them. Maybe the seeds have to go through a birds
digestive system first. Once I found about a dozen volunteers growing
under a dogwood in a small patch.

--
Dan Espen