Old 09-11-2019, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default brr!

Frank wrote:
I was too up until a couple of years ago. We live in a hilly area. My
lot drops about 40 feet from highest part above to lowest below. I had
to use a self propelled mower as a rider could turn over on the down
slope. Worst was back yard where neighbors on both sides do not cut but
my wife wanted ours cut. So I got a lawn crew as do half my
neighborhood. I still do leaves and clean gutters.

not much for hills here unless they are man-made.
that is true of our property too. the change in
elevation for most of it is about a foot or two but
we had to bring in some fill when building for the
septic drain field (clay doesn't drain very fast) so
that is the highest part.

we are not too far in elevation above the level of Lake
Huron/Michigan and we lose about half of the difference
within half a mile. so that means for the next 29
miles the land only drops another 15 feet.

this area used to be an inland sea/swampy area. there
is coal and salt veins under us among the glacial till.
flat and mundane agricultural area with some forest lands
that have regrown since they were initially cleared.

songbird