Old 12-11-2019, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default can i make a mess or what?

T wrote:
songbird wrote:

another project i did get done (cleaning up this garden
and while we were at it we put in The Road to No Wear) this
past summer.

http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...n_RTNW_thm.jpg

All of that is your garden My back hurts in
sympathy with yours!

How do you keep grass seeds out of your garden?
I don't eve have a lawn, and I can't keep them out!

i forgot to mention it, but a lot of the clean up of
that garden involved moving a lot of daffodil and crocus
bulbs and other plants out of the middle section so that
it is a lot easier to clear of weeds when i do need to
scrape it.

now i can scrape the whole garden in 2-3 hours. i have
to do some fine weeding in the thyme along the edges but
i'm quite happy to do it. i get out a ground pillow and
sit there and enjoy the day. once it is fully established
it is a pretty good ground cover, but you do have to keep
the weeds out of it since it is such a low growing plant.

the bottom part where we put the bricks in used to be a
low area full of creeping jenny but it was too hard to
keep weed free so we put a few layers of cardboard over
it and then some weed barrier fabric so i don't have any
weeds trying to come up between those bricks for a few
years. there wasn't much prep work done to put those
bricks down so it won't be even. we just needed a spot
to put them. before i'd spend 5-10hrs to weed that
bottom part by hand several times a season. i'd rather
put that time into other things so now it is smothered
until we decide to change it again.

songbird