Old 16-11-2019, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Trellis?

On 11/12/19 6:41 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:17:08 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 11/12/19 6:05 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

I am going to try my hand at growing schisandra this
spring. It is a climber.

Anyone have a favorite trellis for such?

i depends upon how large the plant gets naturally.
i.e. how heavy and how strong the vines are. if they
will self-support or not. for the large grape vine i
had out back i put in poles in cement and then attached
2x4s and cross pieces to hold all the weight. what is
the growth habit? if it spreads out as it grows up
or does it just go up as high as it can and then
spreads out at the top.

also you have to figure your winds and the cross
section to the wind or any protection from the wind (like
if it is closer to the house or in a corner or there are
some blocking trees), etc.

hmm, likes a bit of shade and moist and well drained soil.
that's going to be a tough sell in your area. may need
to have a lot of mulch to keep it going.

songbird

It can get 7' tall. And we also can have YUGE 100 MPH winds too, so
something that can bend with the wind and not break.

Have you ever considered putting in a windmill to generate electricity? Depending on the size of your property and zoning codes, you might be able to get your local utility to install one that you could tap off of. I've been thinking of building a windmill for about 20 years now; might get around to in in the next 20.

Paul

Not zones for it. Damned things are kind of noisy too,
maybe not windmills.

I have thought of solar panels on the roof, but the battery storage
involved takes a lot of space and is a fire hazard.