Old 18-11-2019, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa[_3_] Nyssa[_3_] is offline

Default I need a lettuce recommendation

T wrote:

On 11/17/19 8:36 AM, Nyssa wrote:
T wrote:

On 11/16/19 6:59 AM, Nyssa wrote:
T wrote:

Hi All,

Zone 6c. very short growing season.

I have a spot open in next years plan that I'd
like to fill with (leaf) lettuce.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks,
-T

New Red Fire.

Looks gorgeous and tastes just dandy. It has some
decent frost-tolerance as well.

I'm growing some in a pot on my deck right now to use
up some leftover seeds. Even after a bit of sleet and
snow this week, it's still looking okay.

Nyssa, who can do without the sleet and snow this early
in the season

Thank you!

You're welcome!

If you'd like to see a picture of a potful of New Red
Fire lettuce, you can visit http://logicalinsight.net and
see for yourself. Look under In the Garden and the
article on "pot farming"....no not THAT kind of pot!

Nyssa, who will be adding more gardening articles to the
site in coming months

Hi Nyssa,

Oh that is red!
http://logicalinsight.net/images/redlettuce.jpg
How would you describe the taste?

What kind of soil does it like? How much water does
it like?

Can I occasionally rip off some leaves, or should I
harvest the whole thing at once?

Does it grow back?

Many thanks,
-T

The seeds are available from Pinetree. I've also gotten them
from Kitazawa, but they're much more expensive there.

You can remove leaves from the outside of the plant a few at
a time (enough for salad or sandwich), and the plant will keep
on going.

I've grown it out in the garden beds with just regular dirt,
amended with peat moss and a bit of slow-acting fertilizer
or in pots such as shown on the website.

My pot farm soil is a rich mix of potting soil, peat moss,
perlite, and vermiculite with a bit of fertilizer. I've
described it in the article.

The taste? Not as watery as Iceberg. I usually grow several
types of lettuce including heading lettuce that I harvest
as leaf lettuce and use the red stuff in a mix for salads.

Otherwise I don't know how to describe the taste. Not bitter
is the best I can manage.

HTH.

Nyssa, who also has a pot of Tom Thumb green heading lettuce
out on the deck that's doing well so far, but uses it as
leaf lettuce a bit at a time from the outside of the forming
head