Old 24-11-2019, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa[_3_] Nyssa[_3_] is offline

Default cabbage

On 2019-11-24 04:26,
wrote:
On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 6:39:57 AM UTC-5, T
wrote:
Is cabbage hard to grow?

Zone 6B

No, the only problem I've had is with cabbage moth
worms. They will wipe out a plant in days. Fortunately,
Bt will solve the problem with regular applications.

what is Bt?

Bacillis thuringensis (spelling?), I used to buy it under
the trade name Dipel.

Thuracide is another trade name for BT. It comes concentrated,
so you just use a tablespoon or two mixed with water, then
spray it on the plants as needed.

It's harmless to humans and pets, can be used up until the
day before harvest, and also can be useful to use on other
leafy plants that can be attacked by chewing insects.

I've grown several types of cabbage in the past and this
stuff has worked fine for me. I've used it on broccoli too,
but you've really got to reapply the stuff often, especially
after a rain.

Songbird mentioned bok choy. I've grown several varieties of
various sizes, and a couple that really are nice are Extra
Dwarf Bok Choy which only grows a couple of inches and has
a short growing period and Dwarf Bok Choy that grows to between
four and six inches tall and is closer to a useful size for
my use. The regular bok choys all grow much larger and it's
impossible to use it up before it goes bad.

It's tasty raw in salads and I use it mostly in stir fries.

Too much information?

Nyssa, who thinks she just hit on a new topic for her website