Old 03-12-2019, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strawberries

On 10/11/2019 15:48, Compo in Caithness wrote:
The season has been fairly normal up here in the far north of
Scotland, Pwll. My big problem this year was tree fruits.....late
frosts killed off the flowers and as a result I've had very few
fruits.

Strangely my Nashi pear which is usually tricky cropped well (it flowers
very early and needs a long season for the fruit to ripen). Every other
apple and pear tree round here barely set fruit at all even in nearby
semi commercial orchards. There must have been a frost at just the wrong
time or no insects about to pollinate the flowers or something. ISTR the
swallows and house martins were worryingly late arriving this year so no
pollinating insects seems like the most likely cause of the trouble.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown