Old 04-12-2019, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_6_] Bob Hobden[_6_] is offline

Default Kale and Kaleslaw

On 4 Dec 2019 15:48, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/12/19 10:12, TimW wrote:
Can a human being digest raw kale? or would we need four stomachs and
the ability to chew the cud? Should I blanche the leaves and refresh
them before shredding and dressing or go hardcore vegetarian and just
chew and chew?

We can digest cellulose to some extent, but it does vary between
individuals. Surprisingly, the older we are the more we can digest it!
https://gut.bmj.com/content/gutjnl/25/8/805.full.pdf

It's actually more whether we can break the cell walls that matters.
For some reason, we can do that for leaf vegetables like kale but
not grass (leaves).

To Jenny M Benson: try cavallo nero. Marrowfat kale (which I was fed
as a child) is fit only for cattle, but curly kale is OK and cavallo
nero is better.

I agree with Nick, cavalo nero is the best kale not that I'm that keen
on any.
Introduced some Bangladeshi friends to it and they love it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden