Old 17-12-2019, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pwllgloyw[_2_] Pwllgloyw[_2_] is offline

Default Dalek Composting

I have had a dalek for about 18 months, quite happily putting composting
material in it and watching the contents compress down.
A few weeks ago I decided to open up the bottom door and remove the
compost from the bottom to spread on the freshly dug veggie patch. I
wondered how this would work, as I expected the thing to collapse as I
removed the compost, but NO despite almost clearlin the whole bottom
15inches or so, the rest remainded firmly suspended somehow.

As it is now full at the top, how does one get the contents to collapse?
I've tried forcing it down as well as I could, adding lots of water and
leaving it to its own devices for a few week, to no avail.

I suppose I could try lifting the whole thing off, but that is difficult
as it is in a corner without much access, and I'm not that flexible
these days.

Any ideas please!

A wonderful and blessed Christmas to one and all.