Old 19-12-2019, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raised Beds

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
I get the distinct feeling that there are a growing number of veg
growers that think raised beds are a must have. On GW and others it
seems Raised Beds are normal when, of course, they are not and only
need to be used for specific purposes. Who here uses raised beds and
why?

I have one slightly raised bed, in which I am trying (without great
success) to grow tarragon and (rock) samphire. I have other things
which seem to grow better in pots than the ground - mint being the
most extreme and most puzzling. The soil is the same.

They are much touted by the 'no diggers', to avoid walking on the soil,
but I grow trailing squashes under a bean cage, and my arms are rather
them than the 2m long (each) I would need to do that :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.