Old 07-01-2020, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hyacinth bulbs

On 07/01/2020 15:46, Jenny M Benson wrote:
I have been given a pot (very nice china bowl, actually) containing some
compressed bulb fibre and 3 hyacinth bulbs.Â* Instructions are provided,
advising planting the bulbs (before the end of January) and putting the
pot in a cold, dark place for 10 weeks and saying "if this step is
missed, the bulbs may not flower."

Unfortunately, these bulbs have not been stored in ideal conditions and
already have about 1/2" of growth showing.Â* Is this growth going to be
damaged if the bulbs are put into the cold and dark now?

Not really. They need some cold damp "winter" period first to persuade
them to really get going when you bring them into the warmth.

Finding somewhere cold for them is a bit of a problem this winter
outside temperature at the moment is 12C and very very windy!

I reckon two or three weeks in a cold dark place is enough to condition
them. Main thing is check them every now and then since the fast growing
roots can quite easily push the bulbs out of the pot! Once the shoots
are 2-3" long you can bring them into the warm and flowers will open.

I never can quite get mine right for Christmas flowering - they are
almost out now two weeks late. The Xmas cactus is more reliable.

Curiously the white ones this year refused to do anything at all. They
are still sat in the dark showing no signs of growth at all. All colours
were planted at the same time and treated in exactly the same way.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown