Old 22-01-2020, 05:27 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening
Norman Lynagh Norman Lynagh is offline

Default First butterfly of the season!

Martin Brown wrote:

Although there was a ground frost overnight. It is ridiculously warm
in North Yorkshire at the moment. Warm and sunny 10C at lunchtime
here and out on a short walk I saw my first butterfly, a Peacock,
this year.

Flowers out today include species crocus, snowdrops, mahonia and
winter jasmine. A few pelargoniums are still in flower too but look
rather sad.

Other things in flower out of season include kerria japonica, pink
valerian and white dead nettle. No daffodils out as yet but the
flower heads are well developed and starting to turn down. If it
stays this warm I am optimistic that some will be out before the
months end.

I saw a butterfly just outside Buxton today. I think it was a painted
lady but I'm not sure as I didn't see it close up.

--
Norman Lynagh
Tideswell, Derbyshire