Old 25-01-2020, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bev[_2_] Bev[_2_] is offline

Default Propagating rhubarb

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 12:59:38 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

I've just split a large crown of rhubarb, and put each piece with one or
two leaf growth points in pots.

But there was a large amount of broken roots left over. I've put these
in pots too, but despite searching on the internet can't find out
whether or not rhubarb root on its own will form new plants.

Anyone know if you can propagate rhubarb from root cuttings?

As someone whose family used to commercially grow and 'force' rhubarb the
answer is 'No' - you need to have a bud on the root and not just the old
root.