Old 25-01-2020, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Propagating rhubarb

On 25/01/2020 12:59, Jeff Layman wrote:
I've just split a large crown of rhubarb, and put each piece with one or
two leaf growth points in pots.

But there was a large amount of broken roots left over. I've put these
in pots too, but despite searching on the internet can't find out
whether or not rhubarb root on its own will form new plants.

Anyone know if you can propagate rhubarb from root cuttings?

I suspect any piece of root with enough reserves will grow on. I have
never tried to propagate it seriously since I can't give it away fast
enough as it is just splitting it with a spade whenever it gets too big.

I have the first forced rhubarb almost ready now.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown