Old 02-02-2020, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spanish Bluebells

On 02/02/20 11:49, Steve wrote:

I've been trying to eliminate Spanish Bluebells for
umpteen years now. The previous owner of my house
planted thousands of them. I've dug up loads of them
over the years, but this year lots more are coming up
again. They just keep coming!
Would using a contact weed killer stick or something
similar work on these?
TIA.

We've been here 7 years and still the odd one appears. They go really
deep even in heavy clay, and that's one reason it's so difficult to dig
them out. The other is that they break up.

I eliminated them by digging them up - being careful to avoid leaving
bits and offsets. And it's really important to stop them seeding (which
is where I would guess the majority of yours came from, rather than the
previous owner planting them). Repeated glyphosate weakens them, and may
kill them, but I've not found it that effective against Spanish Bluebell.

--

Jeff