Old 03-02-2020, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily of the Valley

On 03/02/20 00:05, David Hill wrote:
On 02/02/2020 21:49, Martin Brown wrote:
On 02/02/2020 15:33, Bob Hobden wrote:
Sounds like a silly question but I've just got some bare root plants
but do the roots go verticle into the ground or run just under the soil
horizontally.

If it is the ordinary sort then short of a mulch of brick and concrete
it will not make any difference how you plant them. The variegated form
is a little bit more tetchy but the normal form is borderline invasive.

For some I tried at least half a dozen times and never got more than A
year out of them, but a few miles awat there used to be a house where
they had removed the front wall so they could park on the front "Garden"
Despite the cars etc ot was just solid with "Valley".

Yes! I have always understood that it's an "all-or-nothing" plant, that
loves or hates you. If the latter, you'll never be able to establish it;
if the former, you'll never be able to get rid of it!

I've got "Vic Pawlowski's Gold", and it spreads well in a raised peaty bed.

--

Jeff