Old 11-03-2020, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Question about wood chips

On 11/03/2020 14:14, wrote:
On 11/03/2020 11:51,
wrote:
I'm wondering whether it's OK to cover the ground of a large fruit
cage with wood chips that are partly from tanalised wood. A lot of
googling hasn't produced a clear answer, mainly because older
discussions date from when tanalisation used arsenic as one of the
components.
What's the opinion of those here?

A bit more info: the tanalising is Lonza Tanalith.
Active ingredients: 16.1% w/v (12.4% w/w) copper (Cu) present as a
cupric carbonate ethanolamine complex and 0.64% w/v (0.50% w/w)
tebuconazole.
pH 9.5 (5% w/v product solution)

Personally I would not use that sort toxic tanalised wood chipping in an
area where I intended to grow food for human consumption. YMMV
Bark lasts a decent length of time.

I suggest you look up the product MSDS and make your own decision.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown