Old 16-03-2020, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Moby Grape Tomato

On 2020-03-16 13:41, songbird wrote:
On the bright side, those abused lands should go
for cheap to full circle farmers so they can heal
the land and make it productive again. And
bring back family farming.

it would be nice, but as long as they have lime
and synthetic fertilizers they're not going to be
stopping what they're doing.

It will catch up to them when nothing will finally
grow there

And get away from the bottom line on NEXT MONTHS
spreadsheet and look at the bottom line of a historical
spreadsheet.

also would be nice, but our system is not geared
towards that either. it's all high-expense and high-
turnover type crops. corn and soybeans are the two
main things you see farmed around us. winter wheat
or winter rye once in a while, sugar beets here or
there. rare to see any kind of cover crops which i
consider a near criminal negligence as all that
energy the sun is putting on the soil is being
wasted when you could be harvesting it, generating
more biomass, improving your topsoil and protecting
it from the wind and the rain.

Corn, soybeans, wheat, rye, sugar beets are all
not part of a "human appropriate" diet. It is not what
human DNA is programmed to process and not what humans
have consumed for the last 250,000 years.

So now it is catching up to us and we have heart
disease, Type 2 diabetes (I am a victim of such),
type 3 diabetes (Alzheimer), obesity, etc..

It does not help that our agriculture department is
up for sale. Grains did not even belong on the
food pyramid. Our ancestors did not eat grains.
Or franken fruit for that matter.