Old 12-04-2020, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Old seeds

In article ,
David wrote:
Just noting that whilst I was waiting for my order of seeds to turn up, I
planted some Yellow Courgette seeds (4 or 5) packed for 2018, use by end
2019, packet opened in 2018 (I think).
Waste not want not, etc.
Much to my surprise one has germinated.

So don't necessarily chuck away old seeds.
They might grow.
Just don't rely on them.

Most cucurbit seeds keep perfectly well for several years, often a
decade, depending on the species and conditions. I regularly plant
ones of 3 years old, and get better rates than that - but I do keep
mine in an old ammunition box in a fairly cool and dry garage.

Most pea and bean seeds keep even longer. Cruciferae seeds do fairly
well, but umbelliferae don't - generally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.