Old 12-04-2020, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Old seeds

In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:

I've planted some Broad Bean seeds from last year and so
supposedly in date! Germination rate seems about 50% at the
moment, over a month after planting directly in the soild, with
plastic cloche covering.

I soak them overnight, pre-germinate them until the root shows on
damp kitchen roll in a pie dish, under cling film, which gives a
fairly good indication of viability rate. If I don't do that, I get
dire results because there is something in my soil that lurves
germinating beans. French and runner beans I do that first, and then
get them established in paper pots (ones I make), because they are
even more susceptible.

It sounds tedious, but is far less so than having to deal with 50%
(or, worse, 5%!) emergence rate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.