Old 19-04-2020, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Speedwell in the lawn

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/04/2020 09:27, Another John wrote:

For the last few years we've had [what I have identified as] speedwell
in our lawn. I annually treat the lawn with "Weed and Feed", which
seems to deal with the usual weeds (buttercups, dandelions etc) but the
speedwell seems to shrug this off, and it has got worse and worse every
year.
In the last six weeks uI've treated the lawn three times .. the
speedwell has slight burning arond the edges of the leaves, but the
plants themselves seem to be burgeoning.

Any other recommendations for dealing with this?

Learn to love wildflowers in your lawn?

I don't particularly like the pristine sterile Chemlawn look myself.
(yes that is a real US gardening brand - clue is in the name)

I only persecute dandelion and buttercup in lawns I look after. I don't
let excessively large patches of daisies occur but a few look nice. YMMV

I agree. There are plenty of other broad-leaved weeds I get rid of,
and I wish I could eliminate some bluebells without excavation, but
the main two smaller ones I remove are self heal and mouse ear, because
they aggressively form patches and are the wrong colour. The former
is very pretty, though. And I do dig up couch grass when necessary,
but that's only near the edges because it doesn't like mowing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.