Old 27-04-2020, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa[_3_] Nyssa[_3_] is offline

Default on to the next part

songbird wrote:

today i finally finished up breaking apart all the old
rotting pallets. what a mess. i rescued what wood i
could and the stuff that has a lot of rusting nails in
it i can use as fill in a spot where people won't be
digging any gardens.

the next part is getting some drain tubes pulled out
of a garden so i can use them in the ditch i'm filling
in.

otherwise it has been still pretty cold here too
many nights so i'm not sure i want to do peas yet but
it is getting closer.

some flowers are out, a lot of daffodils and hyacinths.
this pic i liked.

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-

flowers/thm/DSC_20200412_130848-0400_243_Hyacinth_thm.jpg

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-

flowers/thm/DSC_20200412_130848-0400_243_Hyacinth_Closer_thm.jpg

songbird

Here it seems like everything is a month behind where
it should be by now. The weather has been very rainy
and cold with maybe two days where it was anything
close to seasonal temperatures.

I did manage to get three beds planted in between the
raindrops over the past month with some very old snap
pea seeds that didn't do well, then re-planted with
a newer package of Dwarf Grey Sugar peas that are
up about an inch or two.

Two other beds have staggered plantings of broccoli
and all three beds have staggered plantings of lettuce,
some of which is ready to harvest and be replaced with
younger plants. At least the too-cold temperatures have
made the lettuce very happy.

I tried to start clearing another bed for green beans,
but the rains chased me in.

Today it looks like more showers later, but I really
have to try to get some of the ankle-high grass cut,
and it's too cold to sit out and weed that garden bed
anyway. sigh

At least I've seen two hummingbirds braving the chill
out by my feeder, so spring must be out there somewhere
waiting for its chance to finally arrive.

Nyssa, who also got her flower bed cleared, but that's
much smaller than her vegetable beds so was a quicker
job