Old 04-05-2020, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Possible freeze. To water or not to water?

On 2020-05-03 13:43, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am not suppose to plant/transplant until the first week
in June.Â* We have been having a lot of hot weather, so
I decided to jump the gun and get an extra month of
cherry tomatoes and California peppers, so I transplanted.

Problem, tomorrow is suppose to dip to 30F.Â* I may have
to replace all my plants.

To water or not to water?Â* Which is best in this circumstance?
Guess moist soil would not spur bacteria growth that would
warm it above freezing?Â* Like wet hay?

I have nothing to cover them with

Many thanks,
-T

Read the weather report wrong. The 30F is tonight.

Did it freeze last night? Did you water beforehand? Hope your plants all did well.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Weather service said it dipped to 28F.

I did water beforehand.

All of my cherry tomatoes survived. They
were within 6 feet of the house.

The pepper plant closest to house is quite
happy, but the remaining 9 are all wilted.
But four of remaining nine did not fare to
well with the prior transplant shock.

Maybe I should wait another couple of weeks
before replanting the peppers.

-T