Old 06-05-2020, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa[_3_] Nyssa[_3_] is offline

Default Possible freeze. To water or not to water?

songbird wrote:

T wrote:
It will be interesting to see if any of the
peppers recover whilst I wait to buy new ones

it is several weeks too early for us to be
setting out warm weather plants.

songbird

Here in SE VA we usually have just set out the warm
weather plants or are about to do so. My plants are
a little behind this year due to not having fresh seeds
for everything and having to re-start several varieties.

Turns out it's a Good Thing I'm behind because the weather
radio this morning informed the region that a there is a
possible frost warning for Saturday night with temps dropping
into the mid-30s. Yikes! This is just about unheard of and
about a month after the usual average last frost date.

Farmers are probably scrambling as are many home gardeners.

But all of my plant "customers" are still waiting for me
to hand over the plants, so we're safe. Whew!

I finally got bed #4 cleared and planted two days ago when
it was actually spring-like weather. Green beans in that
bed and they should be okay since they haven't had time
to emerge yet.

The rest of the planted beds are all cold-lovers like
peas, broccoli, and lettuce. The one flower bed is close
to the house and should be protected enough to come through
okay too.

Geez, what a year!

Nyssa, who had planned on starting to clear another bed
or two but rains along with a 20 degree drop in temperature
put that idea to rest quick-like