Old 10-05-2020, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Ping Songbird: onion seeds

On 2020-05-09 12:44, songbird wrote:
T wrote:

The green onions I planted last years in my farrow
bin are going nuts! I have been ripping their
leaves off regularly.

Now they are starting to seed. They look like this:
https://ibb.co/nbKT4TK

I would like to collect the seeds for next year.
What do I do next?

let them flower and set seeds. the bees love those
flowers and you can find out a lot about your local
bee population by observing who visits. the flower
head doesn't need to be covered to catch the seeds -
just keep an eye on them for when the pods start to
open. at that point you can trim the stalks with the
pods off and then let them finish drying in a box top
to catch any seeds that want to fall out. after they
are fully dried you can knock the seeds out that you
want (likely there will be more than you can use).

songbird

What do you mean by start to open? The paper covers are
starting to break. Is that what you mean? Or do some
kind of flower come out of the paper cover?

What do they look like when they are about to seed?

How much of the stalk to I cut off when I do? The
stalks are 1-1/2 foot long.

After they flower, will the plant die or will they
bolt and come back next year?