Old 12-05-2020, 06:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
m06een00 m06een00 is offline

Default Pollinators

On 09/05/2020 18:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 09/05/20 17:04, m06een00 wrote:
Where have all the insects gone?

It's been warm and sunny here for the past few days, and I haven't seen
a single bee or hoverfly around. Normally there would be loads of them
flying about at this time of year in these conditions. Even cabbage
whites are in abundance around now and I've just seen one today briefly.

Where are you?

Large numbers of honey bees and other bees (bumblebees and other
solitary bees) here in Hampshire. Also lots of butterflies. In the last
few days I've seen a Brimstone, aÂ* couple of Large Tortoiseshells, and a
couple of Holly Blues, and really haven't been looking for them. One or
two wasps, but no hoverflies. It's still very early in the year despite
the warm weather.

Yes, that's the odd thing. When we had that warm spell over Easter there
were quite a few bees and insects around. Yet in this very recent warm
spell not a bee to be seen here in NW London. My strawberries have just
been blooming and I've had to pollinate them by hand. Curiously there's
a distinct lack of aphids too, even though that's welcoming. It's all a
bit odd.