Old 17-05-2020, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
RosemontCrest[_2_] RosemontCrest[_2_] is offline

Default Marigold Destruction

On 5/16/2020 7:29 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
Although marigolds aren't edible, I though someone on this list might have had an experience like this. My wife planted a row of large, golden marigolds along part of the sidewalk that leads to the back door. They've been there for a few weeks now. This afternoon, something tore the three large flowers off one of the plants and left them on the lawn a few feet away. Only one plant was damaged, the other nine or ten are unharmed.

They were OK this morning but she noticed the damage after lunch. Two of our barn cats hang around the back door, which should discourage birds and rodents. We've had nighttime visits from raccoons, possums, and a coyote but those are rarely seen during the day.

Very strange; anyone have any idea about what could have caused this?

Paul

In my neighborhood:

1) Squirrels. Tree rats simply laugh at my cats, and taunt them to give
chase; they fear no cat. A squirrel may have tasted one and tossed it aside.

2) Rabbits. They typically fear cats, but they may sample the vegetation
if given a safe opportunity.

3) Deer. It is common for deer to chomp the tops off flowers, taste
them, then discard them if not tasty enough. Deer have no fear of cats.

4) Raccoons. While raccoons don't typically don't eat flowers, I
wouldn't be surprised if they were the culprit. Raccoons have no fear of
cats.

What other critters do you have roaming your neck of the woods?