Old 17-05-2020, 01:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Marigold Destruction

RosemontCrest wrote:
4) Raccoons. While raccoons don't typically don't eat flowers, I
wouldn't be surprised if they were the culprit. Raccoons have no fear of
cats.

they have small sharp teeth, they shred things,
not a clean break or cut.

What other critters do you have roaming your neck of the woods?

pretty much everything here at one time or another.
skunks, possums, mink, muskrat, fox, coyote, ...

but more often than not the top four for damage here
are deer, rabbit, groundhog, chipmunk (in that order).
good fence works for the first three and a bit of air
rifle hunting makes sure the last one doesn't get too
repopulated. raccoons are an issue if you try to grow
some plants that they like or if you use fish emulsion
fertilizers they will pull out plants thinking there
is some good food down in the ground... we don't grow
sweet corn so they don't bother us here and i don't
even consider them pests. they do useful things like
eat hornet/wasp nests from behind/under the rocks.

luckily we don't have bear, wild pig, moose, elk...
the bison down the road aren't free roaming either.

songbird